Professional Practice BA (Hons) Top-up Degree
What makes Professional Practice at Worcester special?
If you are currently working in a professional area, such as early years, children’s services or elsewhere in the education sector, this course will enable you to enhance your skills and expertise within your chosen area, furthering your professional development.
A skilled professional constantly evaluates their performance, striving to meet both current and future demands, and facilitating positive change in the workplace. This programme will equip you with the skills and knowledge to help you engage proactively with the professional challenges encountered in your role and to share expertise and insights with colleagues from other professional contexts, promoting an inter-disciplinary approach to learning.
- This course is delivered by The Learning Institute in Cornwall, Devon and London, and by the Somerset Centre for Integrated Learning (SCIL)
- Progression pathway to full honours degree classification for those with existing qualifications in education, such as a foundation degree
- The perfect platform to progress to Qualified Teacher Status in Primary or Early Years with a further year of postgraduate study, either on a PGCE course or via the School Direct programme
“The course allows me to study my area of interest- motivation in learning - in depth with the flexibility to allow a range of study.”
Peter Lewis, student
Studying at the University of Worcester (via The Learning Institute) has provided me with the opportunity to study to degree level from home, without having to relocate. Close-knit peer groups and excellent tutors have supported my learning journey.
Charlotte Tierney, BA (Hons) Professional Practice graduate.
Clearing 2017 - call us on 01905 855111
I studied with the University of Worcester through The Learning Institute. This enabled me to study while staying in my hometown with my family and still working. This is a fabulous opportunity for mature students.
Debbie Harper, BA (Hons) Professional Practice graduate.
What qualifications will you need?
120 credits at Level 4 HE
120 credits at Level 5 HE
Applicants must have current experience of working in a relevant professional setting.
A Disclosure and Barring Service check is required for this course
If your qualifications are not listed, please contact the Admissions Office for advice on 01905 855111 or email email@example.com for advice.
Book your place at an Open Day
Want to know why so many students love living and studying in Worcester?
Our open days are the perfect way to find out.Book your place
What will you study?
Here is an overview of current modules available on this course. Regular updates may mean that exact module titles may differ.
- Independent Study (triple module)
- Specialism module (double module in either early years, children's services or education)
- Professional Development Planning
- Applied Psychological Perspectives
- Reflecting on Practice: Evaluation & Change
Teaching and Assessment
How will you be taught?
You will learn how to:
- Develop your personal philosophy related to your own professional context
- Synthesise your knowledge and skills in the analysis of practical, professional problems and situations
- Facilitate effective change within your professional context
- Enrich yours and others’ awareness through sharing expertise and insights with colleagues from different professional contexts
- Evaluate professional knowledge, understanding and skills from which to develop your future career
- Appreciate a range of new, innovative perspectives in relation to your specialist focus
- Whole group lectures
- Expert seminars on a range of specific topics related to your professional context
- Self-directed learning activities facilitated through the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
- Peer group support and learning facilitated through the VLE
- Series of individual/group tutorials for the Independent Study
- Small-group teaching based on a subject specialism supported with VLE (taught content, discussion and forums)
- Flexible and distributed learning materials such as readings and activities
A range of assessment methods are used including essays, portfolios, case studies, reflective evaluations, Independent Study.
Where could it take you?
Completion of this course can enable you to apply for postgraduate study in education or other related areas. Many graduates continue their studies and career development through postgraduate training programmes for primary teaching (e.g. Postgraduate Certificate in Education) or the early years teacher status, alternatively applying for Masters qualifications.
Request or download a prospectusRequest now
How much will it cost?
Full-time tuition fees
UK and EU students
The standard tuition fee for full-time UK and EU students registering in 2017 is £7,610 per year.
For more details, please visit our course fees page.
Every course has day-to-day costs for basic books, stationery, printing and photocopying. The amounts vary between courses.
How do you apply?
Applying through UCAS
Professional Practice BA (Hons) Top-up Degree X370
UCAS is the central organisation through which applications are processed for entry onto full-time undergraduate courses in Higher Education in the UK.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, please get in touch. We're here to help you every step of the way.