A 'sandwich course' combines work experience with study
Taking a placement year enables you to convert your degree to a 4-year sandwich degree by taking a year in industry between your second and final years. It is advisable to check availability of placement years for your course choice before registration.
You will be able to apply to spend your placement year at a small medium or large organisation in the UK or abroad. Placement opportunities are available in all business and IT sectors, for example; marketing, advertising, PR, HR, business management, finance, economics, programming and game design.
You can read placement stories from students who've recently been placed with a diverse range of employers including; Aldi, Atkins, Atos, Boeing, Borwell, Cummins, Eaton, Enterprise Rent A Car, IBM, Intel, Jaguar Land Rover, JP Morgan, Kraft, Lenova, Lidl, Lilly, MandM Direct, Marks & Spencer, Microsoft, NHS, Price Waterhouse Coopers, Volvo, Waitrose, Worcester Bosch Group.
It is your responsibility to source your placement. Our Work Placement & Internships Office will support you in your search and help with CV’s, applications, and post relevant placements to Blackboard. Work placements need to be a minimum of 36 weeks excluding holidays. You should be working full-time whilst on placement.
Benefits of Placements
- You will be paid whilst on placement
students find it easier to get jobs and have a far more impressive CV than
the average graduate
According to the CMI:
- Employers expect Business Schools to develop Graduates who have a business-ready mind-set
- Employers want Business Schools to equip Graduates with skills as well as knowledge e.g. communication, self-awareness, people management, problem solving abilities
- Many providers (typically around 70%) offer a job following graduation
- Placement students are shown to get better grade degrees
to put theory into practice
According to the CMI’s 21st Century Leaders report:
- ‘89% of managers say that embedding work experience in business courses makes students more employable’,
- ‘51% of employers say that they struggle to find graduates with the right skills’,
- ‘65% of employers agree that graduates lack the inter-personal skills to manage people’
- Contacts and networks for graduate employment
- You will pay only a proportion of your tuition fees during your sandwich year, which means that you begin to pay off debt and/or save for your final year
- Continuing council tax exemption
Help to get your placement
You will register for the work placement scheme at the point of course registration. It is possible to make a course change request to the sandwich course after registration. When it comes to finding a placement, we will help you with everything from CV preparation to interview techniques. When you are out on placement, you will continue to receive support and be a part of the Business School.
Other ways to get work experience
Many companies offer summer or other short-term placements. These can be an excellent way of building up a network of contacts and getting experience of exciting projects. We advertise short-term vacancies on our Blackboard site as well as the year-long placements. Look at the careers service pages to find further details of short-term opportunities.
Get in touch
Placement support team
tel: 01905 85 5556